St. John Brebeuf
Check out a video that summarizes where we are in regards to our parish health and the actions we're taking to ensure our financial and spiritual longevity. It is most important that all members of our faith community see this video and become involved. If you know of a friend who could not be with us this weekend, please point them to this video so they too can see what is happening at St. John Brébeuf.
Our parish is named for Jesuit Father Jean de Brébeuf, who came to Canada from France as a missionary in 1625. He worked with the Native Montaignais and Huron peoples, spreading the gospel and learning their languages. He helped establish the mission near Midland, Ontario, now the site of the Sainte-Marie among the Hurons shrine, which commemorates the Canadian Martyrs. Father Brébeuf was killed by the Iroquois in 1649 and canonized in 1930.
A Catholic parish was established in 1873 for the townships of Erin and Eromosa. In 1959, Bishop Ryan asked the Jesuits to establish a mission in Erin. Masses were said at the Legion Hall until the chruch was opened in 1965, with Jesuit Father Frederick Elliott as the pastor. Father Edward Grace OSA became pastor in 1981, and with construction of the house next to the church, became Erin's first resident priest. The original school opened in 1979, as a new building opened in 1991. The parish was served by Father Charles Lagan SFM from 1986 to 1990; and by Father Gus Arthurs CSSp from 1990 until his death in 2001. Father Joe Kelly CSSp served from 2001 until his retirement in 2015. Fr. Ralph Diodati is the present pastor of SJB.